Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Friends...how many of us have them....

Maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates and guys are just people to have fun with --sex and the city


Every girl needs a girl.  No, I’m not speaking of having a “girl” in a lesbian way, but in a friendly way. Let me start over and explain. 


Every girl needs a girlfriend.  Every girl needs girlfriends.  Girlfriends are there for you during the good times and the bad.  Girlfriends are who you call when you need advice, when you need to vent, when you need to complain, and when you need to laugh.  Girlfriends help you grow.  Girlfriends push you to grow.  Girlfriends celebrate your successes, help you break the windows out his car, and help you fix what is wrong. Girlfriends, support you when you are right and when you are wrong.  Girlfriends tell you not to wear those tights again, suggest lip-gloss shades and they always know where the good sales are going to be.  Girlfriends are there during your life transitions- marriage, babies, divorces, break-ups, moving, new jobs...


Girlfriends provide consistency in your life.


There are just somethings only a girlfriend will understand.  Trust me.


Good girlfriends are a gift from the man (or woman) above.


Sometimes it's helpful for girls to have multiple sets of girlfriends.  Luckily for me, I have Sorors, girlfriends from my elem-high school days, work girlfriends, college girlfriends and neighborhood girlfriends. 


I often tell my male friends that are still on the dating scene, if they meet a girl and she doesn’t have any girlfriends then they need to run in the other direction. I mean there has to be something wrong with a woman with no female friends.  We learned how to make friends in Pre-School...and you still haven’t mastered it? Oye Ve'!  I hear females all the time say "I don’t get along with other girls".  Well I think that is the stupidest thing to say.  How do you not have any girlfriends?  You only have one?  Not Good.  How can you not get along with other women? What are you doing?  Are you an instigator? A liar?  Have a bad jealous streak?  Is the reason you don’t have any girlfriends is because you do not know how to be a friend. I get it, now!!! We need to start with the basics.  You need to repeat your formative school years.  Go back to Pre-School and learn how to share crayons and what it means to be a friend- I dont care if you have a PhD...you dont have any girlfriends and that is a problem.


You mean to tell me when you are in your darkest hour, you want to call on a boy-who is going to tell you he will call you back (probably because he is in the middle of getting some yams).  Hunh? No.  You need a girlfriend, when things are going a little wayward and you need someone on the scene pronto.   You need a girlfriend to pat you on your back and say "you go girl!'  You need a girlfriend that will take off her stilettos and put on her timberlands in 4 seconds or less!

Now, I didn’t say you and your girlfriends wont disagree or hit a rough patch-maybe even not speak to each other for a couple of months days.  It happens. When you finally talk, real girlfriends pick right up where they left off.  Like nothing ever happened.
  
I thank God everyday for my girlfriends.  My girlfriends have been there through my darkest hours, even when I didn’t want them to be.  My girlfriends love me when I’m broke and when I have an extra dollar.  I share a special but different bond with each of my girlfriends.  My girlfriends teach me everyday how to be a good friend. 

I hope that they feel the same about me. 

To all my girlfriends..."We're friends, real friends. And that means, no matter how long it takes, when you finally do decide to look back, I’ll still be here" -grey's anatomy

No comments:

Post a Comment