Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

B or B...

What is female empowerment?  Empowerment refers to increasing the spiritual, political, social, or economic strength of individuals and communities. It often involves those folks considered empowered and having developed confidence in their own capacities.  In that case, I would assume female empowerment would be the ability of women and girls to develop and exhibit confidence in their own abilities to do things. 

As a woman, I am all for empowerment, confidence and frankly showing off...I have to wonder though does that include belittling others, using sexual innuendos and obscenities to do such.  Can female empowerment be as gentle as a tiny kitten, soft and fluffy?  Does it have to be harsh, abrasive, sexual and dark?  Can it be both?  Apparently in most of our present day music it is presented as two different approaches, no in-between and the later of the two is what we commonly think of or see images of.

I am a Beyonce fan...so please do not take this Blog entry as me hating or being jealous.  The first time I listened to the song "Who Run the World (Girls)", I didn’t like the song.  I actually thought that Kelly Rowland had a better first single.  However, before we label this song as a female empowerment song, I think we need to address several things. 

One, female empowerment is not about being naked, gyrating, shouting obscenities/cursing or hand gestures that mimic such (at least not in my eyes).  Or is it? In the above mentioned video she is half naked and dancing very seductively around and on the men.   At one point in the music video B even puts up her middle finger... #wheretheydodat?  Was that necessary?  In the video she is portraying the "leader" of an all female army and they are "fighting" a war. Shouldn’t you be leading by example? Did B putting up my middle finger show that her female army was better than the male one.  Maybe I missed something.  I also saw trailers of the video where it appears some parts were left out of the mainstream video, but nevertheless it hasn’t answered my question, but only increased the number of questions I have about the validity of the song and the video that accompanies it.  Do we as women have to act like "B's" to be heard or seen? 

Ironically when I started this blog, I didn’t know that B would be featured as the cover story of the most Recent Billboard Magazine.  In the article the author refers to Beyonce as an "icon of female empowerment" and asks what power means to her.  B describes what it means to her, including "it's about setting a good example, and not abusing your power...leading by example".  B, do you really believe that?  Does that persona only occur behind close doors when the cameras are off?  Are you saying B is the role model but Sasha Fierce isn’t because I am not sure if your last video (or last couple of videos) displayed such role modeling.  Does that mean we need to be half naked and dancing seductively to get people's (specifically men) attention or can we simply use our intelligence, facts, and natural charm to get our point across and our voices heard.  The video-and song- should have been entitled What Runs The World (Pu$$Y).

Yes, our girls (and women) need role models and inspiring music to get them through life's strenuous and laborious road blocks, but is Who Run the World (Girls) the female empowerment anthem that we need to be singing?  Is it the music video I would use to make a point or presentation with.  No, I dont think so.  I believe this song and the video itself, sets women back several decades.  All that we have fought for in the world of women's rights and independence -and here we go again throwing our Pu$$Y in the faces of men, to get ahead and prove a point.  I think the video is very sexual and does nothing for B, her image and the young women who will continuously chant the song all summer long.   I mean did you listen to the lyrics…geesh that’s another blog for another time.

Sorry B, this was not a winner.  I don’t want to be a B.  This is not the image that women should be flaunting in 2011.  Not when we have astronomical rates of teen pregnancy, STD’s including HIV, poverty, low literacy in our communities.  Please try again.  Next time B the role model you claim to be.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I already wasn't a fan of the song...now i'm REALLY not a fan!! She definitely could've done better...

    ReplyDelete