Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Single Ladies...

...so on Monday night, I wasted 2 hours of my life watching VH1's Premiere of the television series Single Ladies.  From the title and the trailers, ladies you would think this was going to be OUR show.  You would think this was our new Monday night show that we were going to regularly invite our girlfriends over, have wine and food prepared and together we would laugh, cry and bare all of our hopes and dreams about men, relationships, family and marriage and of course SHOPPING!!!!  Well...we were bamboozled..I mean how many of ya'll knew this show was going to be a disaster.  I didn’t think it was going to be the BEST show, but I thought it would be like Girlfriends...remember how it was okay and then it got REALLY REALLY good...well...not this one.  I don’t think there is any hope. 

There is really not much to say except that there were too many has beens, too many story lines, too many sexual encounters and too many light skin men.  If this was Queen Latifah's attempt at an "African American" version of Sex and the City or any successful television series, Dana you failed.   Do not pass go, do not collect $200.00, I'm sorry.  The show simply sucked.  I don’t know who was worse Stacey Dash or LisaRaye McCoy.  Yes, I do.  They both were horrible.

The acting itself left a lot to be desired.  I mean I am all for keeping the money in the family and keeping old school actors and actresses employed but HONEY last night was like Clueless meets Players Club meets Dumb in the City.  Stacey and LisaRaye's acting skills combined are not enough to keep me watching. 

I mean LisaRaye was "herself".  The same way she is on her reality show is the same way she was on this scripted television series.  And Stacey Dash...well your claim to fame is your youthful appearance, but uh..I think you have been hanging with Mr. Botox.  Now I didn’t create this blog to talk bad about people.  That is not my intent and frankly I am not that kind of person...but the acting was simply horrible and they had the nerve to have the "smartest baby moms of the Century" on the show-no other than: Lauren London, Chilli and Kim Porter... *crickets*  somebody call Target and see if they are hiring.  I can't.   None of these 5 women have acting skills that have progressed since they originally came on television or the movie screen.

This may have been an attempt at a star studded cast or premiere-but I only saw crickets. No stars.

I know this series has already been taped but can we scrap the next couple of episodes and replace them with new ones.  I mean the story lines jumped around with two many issues for a premiere. Stacey Dash was dating a man for 5/1/2 years-who in the first 10 minutes of the show told her he didn’t want to marry her, who she thought she was pregnant by but wasnt sure because it could have been another man's (some Caucasian dude she had JUST met).

Then there's the other main character, a Caucasian woman- until I find her real name (no offense) who is married to a suite wearing African American man and cheating on him with Common-the Mayor. 

LisaRaye worked in the boutique owned by Stacey Dash, who was also a video vixen who stole jewelry-wait did I tell you she was in Camron's video-#pause...Camron really?  Stop.  LisaRaye you are too OLD.  Maybe your daughter should have been in the television series.  There were many more issues, too many to type.  I suggest you waste 2 hours of your life like I did...and then "tell em' why you mad son". 

Again who is the other main character....I cant find her name anywhere...not that I looked that hard.

The series is supposed to be a "modern, sexy series set in the world of Atlanta fashion, music, and celebrity that will constantly explore which woman has the right approach to relationships"...well I personally do not need to watch several episodes of this series to know that neither of the three of the women have the right approach to relationships or life for that matter.  At one point Chilli and LisaRaye were discussing the men they both dated since there are only 4 eligible men in Atlanta-and a homosexual co-worker of LisaRaye's chimes in because he dated one of the guys too....STOP.  Please.  No more.

Writers, Producers, Editors! HELP!!!!! Can we please get a real story with real women dating real men?   Real storylines.  Real issues.  Everyone is NOT a video girl and not everyone cares to be.  We do not sit around drinking wine in our designer sunglasses and talking about the next event we are going to.  We do not all have our own boutiques, clothing lines or shoe stores...some of us sit at a desk all day, work in schools-wear uniforms to work.  We do not date “perfect looking men”-fat free-all muscle bodies, beautiful smiles, good hair, bald heads, big houses.  No, we date men with receeding hairlines, crocked teeth, men that dont always wear suits to work and many who live in row homes.  Some of us (ya'll) date men that dont even own a suit-I wont go there today, later, not today, today is not your day.  Someone tell me when will we have a regular show about African American woman dating in 2011 who go to *in my Katt Williams voice* REGULAR jobs, date REGULAR men, drive REGULAR cars and have REGULAR sexual encounters.  Huhnh?  That's not good enough for television, I guess.  It’s too REGULAR.  Everything has to be fake…or a fantasy…or made up or over the top.-even Realtiy television is fake.  How ironic!  And whats said is that because of all the telelvision celebrity lifestyle reality television shows and lifestlyes that we are able to be a part of we (ya'll) think this is how we are supposed to be living.  Half of that stuff is rented...down to the houses they shoot the televsision shows in.  Living high on the hog, gucci this, prada that, cheap heels and fake hair-and you cant even pay your own cable bill-talking about what a man needs to be able to do for you...SIGH I digress... look at what television has done to us *waving fist in the air*.




Ladies-wake up! The revolution will not be televised.  You'd probably be watching Single Ladies anyway if it was.

I am really disappointed in the show and in myself for watching it and NOW blogging about it.  The show needs to improve.  I think Single Ladies needs new actresses, a new story line…and a new station.  VH1 loves to show this kind of buffoonery.  I don’t think another television station would have allowed this show to be on their lineup.  Thank you VH1 and Dana (Queen Latifah) for wasting our time and money.  I should have been reading a book, instead I was glued to the boob tube praying for the show to get better or at the very least to see some hot fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment