Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Big O

...and no I am not talking about an orgasm. LOL!  Yesterday I watched Part 1 of the Oprah Farewell Spectacular and I could not stop crying.  Most of my friends know I am a hard ass, but at times I can be a water head.  It's the Taurus in me.  Anyway, Oprah's friends did an amazing job of keeping the event and its guest and practically all of the details secret and from what I see, they executed a perfect show.  From beginning to end.  From Tom Cruise to Patti Labelle to Beyonce to Diane Sawyer.  I was simply amazed, inspired and frankly out of tissues by the time show ended.  *Note to self-pick up a box of tissues on the way home*.

Beginning September 8, 1986, the Oprah Winfrey show passed through 24 seasons and over 3,700 episodes.  I continue to be inspired by her years of diligence, hard work and most of all compassion for others.  At the same time, I am saddened by her departure from day time television and the impact it could have on women like myself.  I mean she is not dead and I am sure she is being contacted to work on numerous television, music and talk radio projects-but seriously what will we do with out her?  Who will be the next Oprah? 

What disturbs me about Oprah's departure from day time television is the folks who say…"she didn’t do anything for (us)"..."she always doing stuff overseas"..."why she ain’t build a school here"... Folks do your research.  Oprah has championed lots of causes and underserved populations near and far-black and white.  Oprah is not prejudice or "pro-black".  Oprah is a humanitarian and wants to help people.  To say that something she has done has not effected or influenced you in some way, is a bold face lie.  It’s because of Oprah many of your favorite products are on the shelves of stores nationwide-and remain there.  It’s because of her that you read some of the books you do.  It’s because of her that maybe your local boys and girls club is still open.  It’s because of her that you probably know where Africa is-cause you certainly weren’t paying attention before.  I mean c'mon folks…do you think she publicizes everything she does in the community?  Do you?  Probably because you don’t do much and need the recognition for the little but you actually do.

Oprah is a staple not only in the African American community, but in communities all over.  Watching yesterday's show confirmed that its not just African American women who are motivated by her but its all women-across the state, nation, country  and "the world, Craig".  Its women young and old; women with support systems, women without support systems; single women, married women; Christian women, Muslim women and Jewish women.  They all "worship" Oprah. But now what?  Where do we get our advice?  Who inspires us to do more in the community?  Who teaches us we are beautiful just the way we are?

Well I will tell YOU, after 25 seasons, its time for US to be our OWN Oprah.  No, I don’t mean we all need to have a talk show and a best friend named Gayle.  I mean we all need to look within ourselves and strive to do better and we need to help others to do the same.  Oprah has set the standard (very high-might I add) and now its time for us to step up to the plate.  Set a goal and work towards it.  Your goal may be to be a better parent, to do more public service, to go back to school…whatever the goal is, start planning.  Start small…and then see how your project can grow into something large that other folks will want to be a part of or something that will allow folks to notice the difference in you.  It only takes a little faith the size of a mustard seed, to know YOU can make a difference…not a television camera and a studio audience…



*pointing finger and shouting in my Oprah voice * "You set a goal...You set a goal...You set a goal.."

1 comment:

  1. What will we do without Oprah! I know we should all be the Oprah's in our communities/families/circles/lives...but I can't help but feel bad for the generations coming up now who have NO IDEA what they're missing out on by NOT having Oprah as a staple in their momma's and grandmomma's daily households like we did! I'm sad, like sad like when when Michael Jackson died :/ there will never be another Oprah Winfrey, and i'm so glad to have been an 80's baby!!

    ReplyDelete